Thursday, March 17, 2005

GUI Development with SWT and JFace

OK... I took a dive into JFace tonight.  This is the first time that I have played around with it.  For those who do not know, JFace allows you do UI development using the SWT widgets without a lot of the overhead code that you would require if you were using the raw widgets.

I was following along with an article on JavaWorld called “Rich clients with SWT and JFace”.  The article shows a very simple demo that displays a simple window.  The class extends ApplicationWindow, which is a more robust version of the JFace abstract Window class.  Unfortunately, when I type in everything as shown and try to run it in Eclipse, I get an error that says:


Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/core/runtime/IProgressMonitor at com.pshack.application.Application.main(Application.java:30)
I changed the demo to create a separate Window class and use that instead of extending from ApplicationWindow.  This works.  I am not sure why extending from ApplicationWindow does not work for me.  It might be because I am using JDK5, but I doubt it.  I am sure it is just something that I do not understand as of yet.

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: